mardi, août 21, 2007

Confit d'Oignon

I don't know WHY I don't have a photo of this delightful dip that has wowed my family repeatedly over the last week but let's just say it's bright, hot pink and delicious. So far I have only served it with salmon but it is also meant for meats, poultry sandwiches and hors d'oeuvres.

You will need:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 red onions
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup grenadine
1 cup sugar
Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste

Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan on medium heat and add the onions and cook until golden. ( NOTE, I minced mine in the food processor thus making them produce too much of their own water to turn golden - it did not spoil the confiture.)
Add the red wine vinegar and the grenadine and heat to a boil.
Stir in the sugar and continue to boil for an additional 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour the mixture into a hot, sterilized jar and seal. Refrigerate at least four hours before serving.

Another amazing concoction from my "Paris Cafe" cookbook. Click photo to order.

3 commentaires:

Farmgirl Cyn a dit…

Yup. That's the one. I can see it on salmon, for sure. Really, any kind of strong flavored fish. Your mom said it was fab on chicken. Got some red onions at the market, so I will be trying this one. You DO know you should only be eating wild-caught fish, don't you?

savvycityfarmer a dit…

Think it's time to start a cityfarmer food blog.

Anonyme a dit…

Ooh la la! This sounds delicious, I'm going to be making this this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.
I can only dream about having lived in Paris. When we lived in Napoli, my husband had the opportunity to visit France. Lucky him!
Italy had excellent flea markets, but I can only imagine what treasures Paris holds!
I am in love with Versailles (even before the Marie Antoinette movie) and everything to do with it :)