mercredi, août 01, 2007

As Mentioned - The Creme Fraiche Omlette

I have learned not to be without Creme Fraiche in the fridge. I get excited just thinking about it's unique taste. (No matter what "they" say, in my book Sour Creme is NO substitute!)
Mireille says to have it with strawberries and cracked pepper, I even like it with black beans and a handful of natural corn chips but here is a three minute yet divine meal you can easily throw together. My blue collar baby and my two-year old love it...


You will need:
A skillet
One egg
Salt
Pepper
Creme Fraiche
Fresh herbs (hopefully from some pots just outside your kitchen) I use thyme, chives and rosemary.
Butter

Throw (toss, place, put..) a little butter in the skillet and heat until it just begins to turn brown, pour in a beaten egg that has salt and pepper added. Move the skillet around if needed to spread the egg - it should be very thin like a crepe.
Simply cook it on a lower level until done - you do not need to toss or turn. While it's cooking you can rinse and cut your herbs into tiny pieces. Thanks to your golden butter it will slide right out of the pan onto your plate and you can add two or three dollops of Creme Fraiche down the middle, fold the sides over,sprinkle your herbs and the top et voila - vous etes fini!
This makes a lovely light lunch or dinner. Serve with fresh strawberries and a green salad with a simple (homemade) vinaigrette.

Suggestion - if you are preparing for more than one, crack your eggs into separate bowls so you can keep the process moving.

PS- I am sure I found this idea on my shelf of French cook books but I can not remember from which one or I would give credit where it is due.
Photos found under "creme fraiche" images on dogpile.com

3 commentaires:

Farmgirl Cyn a dit…

Not even sure if I can find creme fraiche round here! I HAVE seen the "imitation" recipes using sour cream, but have never tried it. I suppose if you didn't know what the real stuff tasted like, it would be an OK substitute.

Farmgirl Cyn a dit…

And God knows, I have plenty of fresh eggs to create this with!!!

Parisienne Farmgirl a dit…

You should be able to find in at Meijers -in with the imported cheeses is where I find it. Why can't I link you blog in my post recent post?